Friday 30 January 2015

Caramelized Pear and Walnut Pudding


A  baked sponge with a sticky caramel sauce mixed with pears and walnuts- so satisfying for the colder months. Make sure to serve with lashings of custard!







Well say hello to my little delicious friend, I have been keeping this under wraps for about a week now and I finally am able to reveal it to you.

This is THE pudding to turn to for when you can't decide to bake either a crumble or a sponge based dessert. I call these 'magical puddings'  although they are technically called 'self-saucing puddings' or 'puds' if your into using dat british slang. These kind of puds create their own sauce at the bottom of the dish so when you serve it you get this pool of oozy molten heaven underneath all that sponge goodness. At first when I made this, I was just slightly sceptical about how it looked before I popped it into the oven since the sauce is really liquid when you pour it over the cake batter. I believe the thoughts running through my head at that moment was OH GOD I'VE RUINED IT...but the wonders of the self saucing puds never cease to amaze me and when I opened the oven that runny liquid had transformed into a caramelized, gooey, thick sauce. Now that's what I'm talking about.

Even better this dessert still tastes just as good the next day cold or warmed through slightly in the oven or microwave but of course eating it straight out of the oven when bubbling and gooey has the edge. Breakfast is the way were heading with leftovers, if there any in your household that is, as iv'e said it's pretty darn tasty!

I followed the recipe off the blog Cake Crumbs and Beach Sand (I think that blog name is firkin cute!) and all I can say is THANKYOU for sharing this wonderful recipe, it is now a firm favourite.

This is a rather rich dessert but the pears balance out the sweetness of the caramel and the sponge itself is not overly sweet. I reckon this would definitely work with other fruits like apples or maybe even bananas?! Oh man I'm going to have to try that... if you get there before I do make sure to let me know how that turns out! Either serve as it is, with cream, ice cream or custard. You NEED to try this with custard, perfect match... just saying







Caramelised Pear Pudding 

Serves: 4 (for a big portion- cuz thats how we roll)

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 2/3 cups golden granulated sugar 
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup milk (I side lacto-free milk)
  • 2 medium sized pears, peeled and cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
SAUCE
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup boiling water

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
2. Combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and mix together in a large bowl. 
3. Add the milk and beat until smooth, then stir in the chopped pears and walnut pieces. Pour the batter into a baking or oven proof dish.
4. In a separate bowl combine the brown sugar, butter and boiling water. Mix until the sugar has dissolved and the butter melted. Pour evenly all over the batter (it will just sit on top like a layer). 
5. Bake for about 45 minutes until the top is caramelised and crunchy.
6. Serve with ice cream, cream or custard- CUSTARD is the way to go with this, just saying ^^





No comments:

Post a Comment