Tuesday 7 July 2015

Chocolate Candy Cookie Gooey Bars

Cookie bars filled with crushed chocolate candies and a gooey layer of condensed milk and melting dark chocolate chunks~ an indulgent treat and great for picnics!





Hola my chicas and chicos~


Are you wondering why the sudden Spanish? well I'm glad you asked. It's because yep you guessed it, I'm in Spaaaaaaaain! you deserve a prize, that was a tough one. I know, you can have one of these Chocolate Candy Cookie Gooey Bars that I am drooling over right this second even though it's above 30 degrees...

So right now I am currently in Marbella Spain for a girly chilled out holiday, which is just what is needed after this busy year of studying and exams. We arrived Saturday night and are spending a week at this gorgeous villa with a beautiful view, so far it has been well spent chilling by the pool, drinking cocktails, cooking, eating, exploring and photography- basically all my favourite things. After a late start this morning and having a little swim in the pool, I thought I would dedicate some time to blogging and talking to you lovely folks because you know I love you and all that ;)

Ideally I would have preferred to blog and share some of my recent photos in Spain so far, but technology being the amazing yet frustrating thing decided to make my mac completely full of storage when it really isn't... the gains are popping right now. If anyone knows what is taking up the 'other' in storage and how to ABOLISH IT please let me know, I have so many photos and videos to download and share with you all *sad face*

This now leads to me apologising because Im ashamed in myself that I am not sharing some extravagant Spanish cooking or incredible Paella with about 10 different sea foods in todays post...it was either nothing or things that I have made lately but have yet to share ( most of which are desserts). Although, I guess you guys won't hate me too much if I share this indulgent bake during the sunny bikini season. All about moderation right? you could always burn it off later doing zumba or running...PAH! just make them, you know you want gooey chocolateyness whatever the time of year.

I made these little huge morsels of yumminess for yet another movie night get together which is what led me to baking my Cookie dough frosted brownies in my last post. I wanted to bake something different of course to spruce things up a little bit, so there I go again scrolling through my favourites of yet-to-make goodies and found these chocolate gooey bars. The name itself is inviting.

The recipe was used from the blog Crazy for Crust and it was just perfect, I did slightly adjust the recipe since I used what was in my cupboards and stuff needed using up but the chocolate candy bars was probably the best idea I have ever had. Safe to say I will make these again for another gathering but not for myself at the weekend- these things are dangerous and If I had not shared, myself and mum would have polished these all off in less than two days. And i'm not gonna lie here, but these things are calorie dense- they have condensed milk, chocolate bars and more chocolate. Bake for yourself at your own risk.

Let me know what you are all up to this summer and if your on holiday and where your going♥ I will be sure to share Spain photos once this minor technical issue is solved...until then please enjoy the recipe and have some lovely summer days~





I cut my square bars into triangles because they were HUGE! It didn't stop me from eating whole ones of course but at least in triangles it will make more and you can eat two without feeling too guilty. 




INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup unsalted butter (225 g)
  • 3/4 cup golden granulated sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 3 cups + 4 tbsp plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp cracked sea salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips or chocolate bars of your choice ( I used Dairy Milk Oreo and Daim bars= dam bars add an amazing toffee flavour), chopped
  • 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
  • 75g 70% Dark Chocolate (I used Moser Roth chocolate), chopped 
INSTRUCTIONS 
To make the brown butter- a bit more effort but worth it (although I'm still not sure if I did it right...oh well give it a go):
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the butter making sure to stir often (it will splatter but don't worry) until it starts to become brown in colour. The butter will foam and reduce in the process. Once the foam has turned a light brown, remove from the heat (the foam will dissipate). When the butter is brown in colour continue to stir so it doesn't burn (off the heat) and let it sit and cool for about 5 minutes.
2. Pour butter into a large bowl and while it still hot, add the sugars and mix with an electric whisk on low until combined. Let sit to cool for another few minutes. (you can use an electric mixer instead if you like).
3. While the butter and sugar mixture is cooling, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir and set aside.
4. Add eggs one at time to the butter and sugar mixture, whisking after each has been added. After it is thoroughly mixed, add the vanilla extract and whisk some more.
5. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix with a spoon until combined. Then stir in the chocolate chip or chocolate bar chunks.
6. Line a baking pan (the original used a 9x13 pan* but I used a smaller pan) with parchment paper or foil and grease.
7. Press half* the cookie dough in the prepared pan and pour all* the condensed milk over this cookie dough layer, make sure to leave a small gap between the edge of the pan when pouring the milk so it doesn't touch the paper/foil (it will burn otherwise but don't worry too much).
8. Get your dark chocolate chunks (or whatever chocolate you like) and drop over the condensed milk. Break up the remaining cookie dough and place on top of the chocolate and milk. Press with your hands to flatten the cookie dough (it will mostly cover the base but not completely).
9. Put the pan in the fridge for 30 minutes. Bake the pan at 180°C for about 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
10. Cool completely before slicing and then EAT!

Notes*: The original recipe called for a 9x13 pan but I used a smaller pan- this will mean that your bars will be deeper and thicker.
Half of the cookie dough for the base may not be enough to cover the bottom so in that case use 2/3 of the cookie dough for the base and 1/3 for the top. The cookie dough on the top spreads as it bakes anyway and it doesn't matter so much for the top.
I used about 3/4 of the tin of condensed milk because of the smaller baking pan, you could try using it all in a smaller pan but it would mean that it is more likely to run down the sides.



No comments:

Post a Comment